31/05/2012

Hey I heard you like the wild ones.

It seems like I only get a chance to post after exams, so I'm trying to post a little bit before an exam.  This half hour away from studying may or may not break my grades (probably not).


My classes this semester SHOULD have been really cool.  I'm taking pathology, bacteriology, pharmacology, and virology.  All sound sweet, right?  Yeah, until you meet my professors.  They are all nice people, I'm sure.  But they are just so boring to listen to.  I started nodding off in class again, which means I need to start studying other material just to stay awake (pretty much what I did all semester last semester).  Also, every single one of our teachers is from a different country, which means that in addition to figuring out what they are trying to teach us, I also have to figure out what they are saying.  Some are easier to understand than others, but some are just ridiculous to try to understand.  A couple of them also started speaking really fast so it sounds like they are speaking their native language, instead of english.  I feel like a huge jerk being upset because of their accents, but it just makes it that much more difficult to learn material that we are going to be tested on.  America doesn't have an official language (we are in St. Kitts anyway) but it would be great if people who are supposed to be teaching students can at least speak english correctly.  It's hard to decipher broken english.  (I'm a jerk)


I got to do my first necropsy this semester, which was awesome.  The dog we performed it on died of heart worm disease, which was a cool thing for us, because it's something that most of the students know a little bit about, but now we got to see the physical manifestations, instead of just treating the animals in a clinic or learning about heart worms in parasitology.  I've got some beef with our pathology class but I don't feel like getting into it right now.  Necropsy was awesome (we got a little gypped because our teacher was rushing us because she scheduled a conference call during our necropsy that she had to leave for (shitty)) and I still want to be a vet.  End of story.


I realized how inefficient my study methods are recently.  Everything just takes so long!  I have to rewrite all of my notes and most powerpoints.  Sometimes I make flashcards, but it doesn't work for every class.  I guess it works out for me because I get pretty good grades but it would be nice to get good grades without giving myself carpal tunnel every time I have a test.


It's getting inappropriately hot here.  Yesterday was the first day that I was really uncomfortable anytime I had to go outside.  It would be perfect beach weather for this weekend, but I'm going to have to study all weekend.  We have our first exam of the semester on Monday and then another one on Friday, so I'll have a busy weekend with not too much fun involved.  There is a hash this weekend that I would really like to go to but that depends on how much studying I get done before hand.  Either way, I think PD is getting a little hot, so I bought us a fan for my bedroom and I've been taking him for walks a little later than usual so he doesn't get so hot.  I think it might be time to get his hair cut again soon.  It's not that long but he would probably just get too hot if I didn't cut it.


Well, that was boring.  Sorry about that.


I am looking for yet another apartment.  Hopefully this will be my last move.  I was really unhappy with my lease and landlord, so I'm moving, but trying to stay in the same area.  I haven't had much luck so far.  I found my dream apartment that wasn't too much in rent each month, but they kind of lied to me about a couple things and it ended up being way more than I could afford just to move in.  Even if I could afford it, they started lying to me before I moved in...bad move, potential landlord.  There is another apartment right behind where I live right now and it's pretty decent, and they are asking a pretty reasonable price.  It's not the nicest apartment in the world, but I could definitely live with it.  I'm going to keep looking, but I don't know that I will find a better deal than that one.  It's got a pool too.  Anyone know any apartments opening up in St. Kitts?  Yeah, didn't think so.  


I went to a meeting last night for a club on campus that teaches you spanish that you might use in a clinic!  It's awesome!  We learned stuff like, "Is it male or female?" "What breed is it?" "What's wrong with your animal?" "When did the problem start?" etc.  I think it's going to be so useful when I get in practice.  I'll keep you updated on all the sweet stuff we are learning to say (I've only been to one meeting so far and they only had one meeting before that).


I forgot anything else I wanted to say, so I'll have to update again soon when I remember.  But I will leave you with a picture of PD and his girlfriend, Carmalita :)





1 comment:

  1. So cute and I SOOOOOOOO love reading your blog! Good luck on the exam, the apt situation will work! ILY - Mumma

    ReplyDelete